Definition of Gallinaceous bird
1. Noun. Heavy-bodied largely ground-feeding domestic or game birds.
Generic synonyms: Bird
Group relationships: Galliformes, Order Galliformes
Specialized synonyms: Domestic Fowl, Fowl, Poultry, Gallina, Jungle Fowl, Agriocharis Ocellata, Ocellated Turkey, Guan, Curassow, Chachalaca, Megapode, Mound Bird, Mound Builder, Mound-bird, Scrub Fowl, Hoactzin, Hoatzin, Opisthocomus Hoazin, Stinkbird, Columbiform Bird, Game Bird
Terms within: Cockscomb, Comb, Coxcomb
Gallinaceous Bird Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Gallinaceous Bird Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Gallinaceous Bird
Literary usage of Gallinaceous bird
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Appleton's New Practical Cyclopedia: A New Work of Reference Based Upon the by George J Hagar (1910)
"... Wood Grouse, or Cock of the Woods, a large gallinaceous bird ( Tetrao ... gallinaceous bird ..."
2. The Animal Kingdom Arranged in Conformity with Its Organization by Georges Cuvier, Edward Griffith, Charles Hamilton Smith, Edward Pidgeon, John Edward Gray, George Robert Gray (1829)
"The bill is truly the bill of a gallinaceous bird, and has not the slightest ... The foot evidently belongs to a gallinaceous bird, and is peculiar for its ..."
3. Annals and Magazine of Natural History by William Jardine (1869)
"... rouge au bee ae Becasse is not a gallinaceous bird, nor does it belong to the natural group of which the Apteryx is now the only living representative; ..."
4. The Edinburgh New Philosophical Journal (1845)
"The fragment of a tarsus, from the collection of M. Bravard, comes from Arde, likewise in Auvergne; it belongs to a spurred gallinaceous bird, ..."