Definition of Gallinippers
1. gallinipper [n] - See also: gallinipper
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Gallinippers Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Gallinippers
Literary usage of Gallinippers
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Thirty Years from Home; Or, a Voice from the Main Deck: Being the Experience by Samuel Leech (1909)
"They were attended by armies of large, yellow horseflies, which our men called gallinippers. These merciless insect savages were always sure to attack the ..."
2. My Colonial Service in British Guiana, St. Lucia, Trinidad, Fiji, Australia by George William Des Vœux (1903)
"... and jacamars—Fireflies of different varieties— Mosquitoes and gallinippers; story illustrating difference between them— River Waini—The balata tree and ..."
3. An American Glossary by Richard Hopwood Thornton (1912)
"375, App. 1842 The gallinippers of Florida are said to have aided the Seminoles in ... 1853 Winter brings gallinippers of a sharper bite than fleas or ..."
4. Contributions to the Natural History of Alaska: Results of Investigations by Lucien McShan Turner, William Babcock Hazen (1886)
"A male bird was shot in the edge of a clump of bushes on the 17th day of July, and in its bill were over a dozen gallinippers, which had been divested of ..."
5. Retrospections of America, 1797-1811 by John Bernard, Laurence Hutton, Brander Matthews (1886)
"One of the local peculiarities of Virginia was an improved breed of mosquitoes, termed gallinippers, in size and sting not much inferior to wasps. ..."
6. A Whimsey Anthology by Carolyn Wells (1906)
"The gallinippers, $4 $4 *4 One of his lines spun off the reel; He landed in the boat an eel. The Eel, oo Then quickly it began to rain, But his umbrella was ..."
7. Americanisms: The English of the New World by Maximilian Schele De Vere (1872)
"... would keep off the gallinippers. He lay there several '.minutes,, covered with ravenous insects, and among them several of the latter species, ..."