Definition of Genus Agelaius
1. Noun. Red-winged blackbirds.
Generic synonyms: Bird Genus
Group relationships: Family Icteridae, Icteridae
Member holonyms: Agelaius Phoeniceus, Red-winged Blackbird, Redwing
Genus Agelaius Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Agelaius Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Agelaius
Literary usage of Genus Agelaius
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Birds of Long Island by Jacob P. Giraud (1844)
"genus Agelaius —SWAINSON. MARSH BLACKBIRD. [Bill shorter than the head, robust, conical, straight—ridge of the bill flattened toward the l,ase; ..."
2. Check-list of North American Birds by American Ornithologists' Union (1910)
"... various eastern localities from Ontario and Quebec to South Carolina, Florida, and Cuba. genus Agelaius VIEILLOT. Agelaius VIEILLOT, Analyse, 1816, 33. ..."
3. The Journal of Anatomy and Physiology by Anatomical Society of Great Britain and Ireland (1888)
"... in so far as their skulls seemed to indicate, was fully three or four times as great as the gap which exists between 8. magna and the genus Agelaius. ..."
4. The Canadian Journal of Industry, Science and Art by Canadian Institute (1849-1914) (1860)
"Common. Frequents grass fields. Genus Molothrus.—Cow BIRD. 1. M. pecoris— Common Cow Bird. Abundant all over the country. genus Agelaius.—MARSH BLACKBIRD. ..."