Definition of Genus Arenga
1. Noun. A genus of tropical Asian and Malaysian palm trees.
Generic synonyms: Plant Genus
Group relationships: Arecaceae, Family Arecaceae, Family Palmaceae, Family Palmae, Palm Family, Palmaceae, Palmae
Member holonyms: Arenga Pinnata, Gomuti, Gomuti Palm, Sugar Palm
Genus Arenga Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Arenga Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Arenga
Literary usage of Genus Arenga
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Timber Trees, Timber and Fancy Woods, as Also, the Forests, of India and by Edward Balfour (1870)
"It is is one of five species of the genus " Arenga" which chiefly inhabit the islands of the Indian Archipelago, although they also grow on the continent of ..."
2. Medicinal Plants: Being Descriptions with Original Figures of the Principal ...by Robert Bentley, Henry Trimen by Robert Bentley, Henry Trimen (1880)
"genus Arenga,* Labill. Kunth, Enum. Pl., iii, p. 197. Species 2 or 3, natives of Tropical Asia. 277. ..."
3. The Cyclopædia of India and of Eastern and Southern Asia: Commercial by Edward Balfour (1885)
"... This is one of the genus Arenga, five species of which chiefly inhabit the islands of the Eastern Archipelago. They are all handsome trees, ..."
4. Bruin; or, The grand bear hunt by Mayne Reid (1861)
"... is a species of the genus arenga. It is one of tH " cabbage " palms; that is, its young leaves before expanding are eaten by the natives as a vegetable- ..."