Definition of Genus Armeria
1. Noun. Shrubby or herbaceous low-growing evergreen perennials.
Generic synonyms: Dicot Genus, Magnoliopsid Genus
Group relationships: Family Plumbaginaceae, Leadwort Family, Plumbaginaceae, Sea-lavender Family
Member holonyms: Thrift
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Armeria
Literary usage of Genus Armeria
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Scientific Memoirs: Selected from the Transactions of Foreign Academies of by Arthur Henfrey, Thomas Henry Huxley (1853)
"The genus Armeria is essentially distinguished by this point from the allied genus Statice, in the distichous inflorescence of which right- and left-wound ..."
2. Charles Kingsley: His Letters and Memories of His Life by Charles Kingsley (1878)
"MY DEAR SIR CHARLES, " I trust I am not troubling you too much by asking about the genus Armeria. (Thrift.) The distribution (vertical) of Armeria maritima ..."
3. Winston's Cumulative Loose-leaf Encyclopedia: A Comprehensive Reference Bookedited by Charles Morris edited by Charles Morris (1921)
"... in time of war to prove their nationality, and so secure them from molestation. Sea-pen. See Sea-perch, Sea-pike. '«*»««• genus Armeria, nat. order ..."
4. Edinburgh New Philosophical Journal, Exhibiting a View of the Progressive by Robert Jameson, Sir William Jardine, Henry D Rogers (1828)
"... previously observed at Bellegarde and La Jonquiere : it is probably A. plantaginea, if indeed the whole genus Armeria be not reducible to one species. ..."
5. Applied and Economic Botany for Students in Technical and Agricultural by Wilfred William Robbins (1896)
"A rare case, occurring so far as known only in the genus Armeria,1 has been observed and may be briefly mentioned. The mechanical sheath of bracts at the ..."