Definition of Genus Asphodelus
1. Noun. Small genus of tall striking annuals or perennials with grasslike foliage and flowers in dense racemes or panicles; Mediterranean to Himalayas; sometimes placed in family Asphodelaceae.
Generic synonyms: Liliid Monocot Genus
Group relationships: Family Liliaceae, Liliaceae, Lily Family
Genus Asphodelus Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Asphodelus Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Asphodelus
Literary usage of Genus Asphodelus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The American Botanist edited by Willard Nelson Clute (1921)
"One of the flowers often associated with the hyacinth is the Asphodel of the genus Asphodelus which, in the Greek, means unsurpassed, and is said to allude ..."
2. American Revisions and Additions to the Encyclopaedia Britannica by William Harrison De Puy (1891)
"ASPHODEL, a general name for a plant of the genus Asphodelus, of which the species, which are not very numerous, are mostly natives of the countries around ..."
3. Appleton's New Practical Cyclopedia: A New Work of Reference Based Upon the edited by Marcus Benjamin, Arthur Elmore Bostwick, Gerald Van Casteel, George Jotham Hagar (1920)
"... of galvanic electricity to the chest. As'pic. See ASP. As'pinwall, See COLON. Asphodel (as'fö-dël), herbaceous plant of the genus Asphodelus and family ..."
4. Monthly Consular and Trade Reports by United States Bureau of Manufactures (1910)
"... a herbaceous plant of the genus asphodelus, native of various Levantine countries. In the interior of Asia Minor, where it grows wild in abundance, ..."