Definition of Genus Cladonia
1. Noun. Type genus of Cladoniaceae; lichens characterized by a crustose thallus and capitate fruiting bodies borne on simple or branched podetia.
Generic synonyms: Fungus Genus
Group relationships: Cladoniaceae, Family Cladoniaceae
Member holonyms: Arctic Moss, Cladonia Rangiferina, Reindeer Lichen, Reindeer Moss
Genus Cladonia Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Cladonia Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Cladonia
Literary usage of Genus Cladonia
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. A Manual of British Lichens: Containing Descriptions of All the Species and by William Mudd (1861)
"... at once separates it," from the genus Cladonia, in which the species has been hitherto included ; still there is much uncertainty in the total absence ..."
2. The Proceedings of the Iowa Academy of Science by Iowa Academy of Science (1905)
"... and set forth in great detail in one hundred and three pages of his monograph of the genus Cladonia, that the present writer began to realize something ..."
3. The Proceedings of the Iowa Academy of Science by Iowa Academy of Science (1905)
"... .as viewed by Wainio, and set forth in great detail in one hundred and three pages of his monograph of the genus Cladonia, that the present writer began ..."
4. Edinburgh New Philosophical Journal, Exhibiting a View of the Progressive by Robert Jameson, Sir William Jardine, Henry D Rogers (1859)
"... are sufficient of themselves to separate this puzzling lichen from the genus Cladonia, in which it has hitherto been almost uniformly placed. 7. ..."