Definition of Genus Clathrus
1. Noun. Type genus of the Clathraceae.
Generic synonyms: Fungus Genus
Group relationships: Clathraceae, Family Clathraceae
Genus Clathrus Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Clathrus Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Clathrus
Literary usage of Genus Clathrus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Annals and Magazine of Natural History by William Jardine (1845)
"... obtain The investigations of botanists on this subject have not gone further; the fructification of the genus Clathrus is still more imperfectly known. ..."
2. The Intellectual Observer (1866)
"The genus Clathrus (Figs. 5, 8) occurs in various parts of the world, but not in high northern latitudes. In the more typical species, the receptacle is ..."
3. The evolution of plant life, lower forms by George Massee (1891)
"... whereas in the genus Clathrus the receptacle is composed of branches united into irregular polygonal meshes, the whole forming a hollow sphere. ..."
4. A University Text-book of Botany by Douglas Houghton Campbell (1907)
"In the curious genus Clathrus the complete central-body has the form of a hollow lattice-work, which is bright red in color. ..."