Definition of Genus Cocos
1. Noun. Coconut palms.
Generic synonyms: Liliopsid Genus, Monocot Genus
Group relationships: Arecaceae, Family Arecaceae, Family Palmaceae, Family Palmae, Palm Family, Palmaceae, Palmae
Member holonyms: Coco, Coco Palm, Cocoa Palm, Coconut, Coconut Palm, Coconut Tree, Cocos Nucifera
Genus Cocos Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Cocos Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Cocos
Literary usage of Genus Cocos
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Origin of Cultivated Plants by Alphonse de Candolle (1886)
"The eleven other species of the genus Cocos are American, and all those which de Martius knew well are Brazilian.* Drude,5 who has studied the ..."
2. All about the "coconut Palm" (Cocos Nucifera): Including Practical by John Ferguson (1898)
"The eleven other species of the genus Cocos are American, and all those which de Martius knew well are Brazilian. ..."
3. Select Extra-tropical Plants: Readily Eligible for Industrial Culture Or by Ferdinand von Mueller (1891)
"... at elevations of 5000 feet, both very lofty palms, and both recently reduced by Sir Joseph Hooker to the genus Cocos. ..."
4. Geology and Mineralogy Considered with Reference to Natural Theology by William Buckland (1836)
"4, 9. t See Parkinson's Org. Rem. Vol. i. PI. VII. fig. 1—5. M. Brongniart says, these fruits are undoubtedly of the genus Cocos, hear to Cocos lapidea, ..."
5. Choice Stove and Greenhouse Ornamental-leaved Plants: Comprising by Benjamin Samuel Williams (1876)
"The treatment recommended for the genus Cocos will suit these plants also. They are multiplied by seeds. ..."