Definition of Genus Lama
1. Noun. Llamas.
Generic synonyms: Mammal Genus
Group relationships: Camelidae, Family Camelidae
Member holonyms: Domestic Llama, Lama Peruana, Guanaco, Lama Guanicoe, Alpaca, Lama Pacos
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Lama
Literary usage of Genus Lama
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Cambridge Natural History by Sidney Frederick Harmer, Arthur Everett Shipley (1902)
"Otherwise the genus does not occur in Europe. The Camels are also represented in the New World. The genus Lama ..."
2. A Geographical History of Mammals by Richard Lydekker (1896)
"... the exclusively South American guanacos and vicunas, which, together with their domesticated allies constitute the genus Lama; and tapirs (Tapirus). ..."
3. The Geography of Mammals by William Lutley Sclater, Philip Lutley Sclater (1899)
"... which, with its allies, constitutes the genus Lama. Four forms, usually regarded as distinct species, are recognised by naturalists. ..."
4. The American Cyclopædia: A Popular Dictionary of General Knowledge by Charles Anderson Dana (1873)
"In the church of St. Martin is a picture by Rubens representing " The Plague of Alost." ALPACA, a species of the genus lama of Fr. Cuvier (properly llama), ..."
5. The New American Cyclopaedia: A Popular Dictionary of General Knowledge by George Ripley (1859)
"In the church of Saint Martin is a picture by Rubens, representing " the Plague of Alost." ALPACA, a species of the genus lama of Fr. Cuvier (properly ..."