Definition of Genus Nycticebus
1. Noun. A genus of Lorisidae.
Generic synonyms: Mammal Genus
Group relationships: Family Lorisidae, Lorisidae
Member holonyms: Nycticebus Pygmaeus, Nycticebus Tardigradua, Slow Loris
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Nycticebus
Literary usage of Genus Nycticebus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The English Cyclopaedia by Charles Knight (1867)
"... Lemur from the slender Lorit, with which he had previously associated it, in order to form from it and some other doubtful species the genus Nycticebus. ..."
2. The Cambridge Natural History by Sidney Frederick Harmer, Arthur Everett Shipley (1902)
"The genus Nycticebus contains only a single species, N. tardi- gradus, though four other names have been given to supposed varieties. ..."
3. Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia by Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia (1903)
"... are also indebted to the US National Museum for the privilege of examining certain specimens in connection with their study of the genus Nycticebus, ..."
4. The Encyclopedia Americana: A Library of Universal Knowledge (1919)
"The genus Nycticebus contains the remarkable "sloth monkey" or sloth lemur (N. tardigradus), which is nocturnal, howls dismally at times and is the object ..."