Definition of Genus Notonecta
1. Noun. Type genus of the Notonectidae: backswimmers.
Generic synonyms: Arthropod Genus
Group relationships: Family Notonectidae, Notonectidae
Member holonyms: Backswimmer, Notonecta Undulata
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Notonecta
Literary usage of Genus Notonecta
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Journal of the New York Entomological Society by New York Entomological Society (1913)
"The genus Notonecta in America, north of Mexico. 8 (i pl.) 35 Hemiptera-Heteroptera of Westchester Co., N. Y IS Caudell. ..."
2. The Animal Kingdom Arranged in Conformity with Its Organization by Georges Cuvier, Pierre André Latreille (1831)
"They swim or row with great swiftness. and frequently while on their back. They compose the genus NOTONECTA, Lin. Which has been divided in the following ..."
3. Chambers's Encyclopædia: A Dictionary of Universal Knowledge for the People by Chambers, W. and R., publ (1876)
"... and probably also from their remarkable habit of always swimming on their back—peculiar to the genus Notonecta, as restricted by recent ..."
4. Entomological News and Proceedings of the Entomological Section of the by Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia Entomological Section (1907)
"Genus NOTONECTA Linn<5. N. undulata Say. Raleigh; November 9, 24, 1904. The usual forms in this species, which is not at all common. ..."
5. Science by American Association for the Advancement of Science (1910)
"... investigation into the amount of variation within a genus has been completed by A. Delcourt.2 He selected the aquatic hemiptera of the genus Notonecta, ..."
6. An Introduction to the Modern Classification of Insects: Founded on the by John Obadiah Westwood (1840)
"... are copied from original drawings made by R. Templeton, Esq.) The name of the typical genus, Notonecta, alludes to the singular habit which these ..."