Definition of Genus Opisthocomus
1. Noun. Type genus of the Opisthocomidae: hoatzins.
Generic synonyms: Bird Genus
Group relationships: Family Opisthocomidae, Opisthocomidae
Member holonyms: Hoactzin, Hoatzin, Opisthocomus Hoazin, Stinkbird
Genus Opisthocomus Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Opisthocomus Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Opisthocomus
Literary usage of Genus Opisthocomus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Geographical Distribution of Animals: With a Study of the Relations of by Alfred Russel Wallace (1876)
"... a large turkey-buzzard (Cathartes) ;. a new species of the very isolated South American genus Opisthocomus ; and a Cariama, or allied new genus. ..."
2. A Text-book of Zoogeography by Frank Evers Beddard (1895)
"... facilities for a wider range, but which for one reason or another (to be considered later) have been unable to extend that range. The genus Opisthocomus ..."
3. The Cambridge Natural History by Sidney Frederic Harmer, Arthur Everett Shipley (1899)
"... placed it in the Linnean genus Phasianus; but Illiger recognised a genus Opisthocomus, while Huxley and Garrod ..."
4. The Penny Cyclopædia of the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge by Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (Great Britain), George Long (1837)
"... some of the long-legged Brazilian cuckoos, or at once point to the singular genus Opisthocomus. ..."
5. The Analyst: A Quarterly Journal of Science, Literature, Natural History by William Holl, Neville Wood, Edward Mammatt (1839)
"Hereabouts, it was stated, should range the singular and anomalous genus Opisthocomus, and probably the ..."