Definition of Genus Phytophthora
1. Noun. Destructive parasitic fungi causing brown rot in plants.
Generic synonyms: Fungus Genus
Group relationships: Family Pythiaceae, Pythiaceae
Member holonyms: Phytophthora Citrophthora, Phytophthora Infestans
Genus Phytophthora Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Phytophthora Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Phytophthora
Literary usage of Genus Phytophthora
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Proceedings of the Indiana Academy of Science by Indiana Academy of Science (1922)
"The genus Phytophthora contains a number of species which are separated by apparently ... J. Studies of the genus Phytophthora. Jour. Aur. Res. 8:233-276. ..."
2. A Text-book of Mycology and Plant Pathology by John William Harshberger (1917)
"Handbuch der systematischen Botanik, 1911: 158-160. WILSON, GUY WEST: Studies in North American Peronosporales V. A Review of the genus Phytophthora. ..."
3. Phytopathology by American Phytopathological Society (1917)
"... or in groups included—of the genus Phytophthora and t lien-fore should be classed with members of that genus in spite of its soil habitat (fig. 5). F;u. ..."
4. The American Naturalist by American Society of Naturalists, Essex Institute (1876)
"The new genus, Phytophthora, to which the old Peronospora infestans belongs, differs in its multiple and successive conidia, which, when shed, ..."
5. Transactions of the Kansas Academy of Science by Kansas Academy of Science (1889)
"I have also included the extra limitai genus Phytophthora, as it is very probable that it will soon be known in the State. It will be noticed at once that ..."