Definition of Genus Picus
1. Noun. Type genus of Picidae.
Generic synonyms: Bird Genus
Group relationships: Family Picidae, Picidae
Member holonyms: Green Woodpecker, Picus Viridis
Genus Picus Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Picus Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Picus
Literary usage of Genus Picus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Penny Cyclopaedia of the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge by Charles Knight (1843)
"... the Macro- glosses, consist of the genera Picus and Yunx. The great genus Picus is placed by Cuvier in his third order, Grimpeurs,.between ..."
2. Key to North American Birds: Containing a Concise Account of Every Species by Elliott Coues (1872)
"Time spent upon the Introduction will be time saved in the end. § 94. Now the genus Picus that we found has a number after it, which refers to the ..."
3. Incidents of Travel in Yucatan by John Lloyd Stephens (1848)
"Of the genus Picus were procured three species, two of which are perhaps new. One of these resembles the little woodpecker of Europe (Paul Minor) very ..."
4. The Animal Kingdom Arranged in Conformity with Its Organization by Georges Cuvier, Pierre André Latreille (1831)
"Afr. pl. cclv and cclvi, The only additional abstraction that we make from the genus Picus, is the P. minutas, Lath. ..."