Definition of Genus Polystichum
1. Noun. Small to medium-sized terrestrial ferns especially holly ferns; in some classification systems placed in Polypodiaceae.
Generic synonyms: Fern Genus
Group relationships: Athyriaceae, Dryopteridaceae, Family Athyriaceae, Family Dryopteridaceae
Member holonyms: Canker Brake, Christmas Fern, Dagger Fern, Evergreen Wood Fern, Polystichum Acrostichoides, Holly Fern, Polystichum Setiferum, Soft Shield Fern
Genus Polystichum Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Polystichum Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Polystichum
Literary usage of Genus Polystichum
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Phytologist: A Popular Botanical Miscellany edited by George Luxford, Edward Newman (1844)
"11, 2nd edition, " genus Polystichum, Roth. Involucre attached by its centre. ... The genus Polystichum was established by Roth in his ' Flora Germanica,' ..."
2. The Philippine Journal of Science by Institute of Science and Technology (Philippines) (1907)
"... able botanists are not wanting who would still include all in one great genus. Polystichum is probably older 30 than As- /lii/inm, being cosmopolitan, ..."
3. Rhodora by New England Botanical Club (1902)
"Now it was upon this species that Roth founded his genus Polystichum somewhere between 1798 and 1800 (exact date uncertain, but the same as that at which he ..."
4. The London Journal of Botany by Sir William Jackson Hooker (1844)
"The genus Polystichum was invented by Roth in the year 1800, and is absolutely identical with Aspidium ..."
5. On Molecular and Microscopic Science by Mary Somerville (1869)
"In the genus Polystichum, the fronds spring in tufts from a short slow-growing caudex. They are rigid, linear or lanceolate, and either pinnate, bipinnate, ..."
6. The Principles of Floriculture by Edward Albert White (1915)
"Polystichum (commonly called Aspidium), botanical classification. — Order, Polypodiaceae ; genus, Polystichum (Greek, mang rows, referring to the sori); ..."
7. Historia filicum: An Exposition of the Nature, Number and Organography of by John Smith (1875)
"... much consideration, think it best to enumerate them under the original names given by authors. As a genus, Polystichum is technically distinguished from ..."