Definition of Genus Sciaena
1. Noun. Type genus of the Sciaenidae: croakers.
Generic synonyms: Fish Genus
Group relationships: Family Sciaenidae, Sciaenidae
Member holonyms: Jewfish, Mulloway, Sciaena Antarctica, Maiger, Maigre, Sciaena Aquila
Genus Sciaena Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Sciaena Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Sciaena
Literary usage of Genus Sciaena
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Elements of Natural History: Being an Introduction to the Systema Naturae of by Charles Stewart (1801)
"... is not common to the genus Sciaena alone, but alfo to many of the Spari, and perhaps, to fome of the ..."
2. The Animal Kingdom Arranged in Conformity with Its Organization by Georges Cuvier, Edward Griffith, Charles Hamilton Smith, Edward Pidgeon, John Edward Gray, George Robert Gray (1834)
"With a new genus from Australia (MACQUARIA), of the habits of which nothing is known, the Baron concludes that the genus sciaena, according to ..."
3. Hobson-Jobson: A Glossary of Colloquial Anglo-Indian Words and Phrases, and by Henry Yule, Arthur Coke Burnell, William Crooke (1903)
"Corvina is applied by Cu vier, Cantor and others to fish of the genus Sciaena of more recent ichthyologists. t ..."
4. Neues Repertorium für Pharmacie by L. A. Buchner (1856)
"Obgleich ich glaube, dass dieser Fisch dem genus Sciaena zugehört, bin ich gleichwohl in Ermanglung genauer Beschreibungen nicht im Stande gewesen, ..."