Definition of Genus Scolopax
1. Noun. Type of the Scolopacidae: Old World woodcocks.
Generic synonyms: Bird Genus
Group relationships: Family Scolopacidae, Scolopacidae
Member holonyms: Eurasian Woodcock, Scolopax Rusticola
Genus Scolopax Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Scolopax Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Scolopax
Literary usage of Genus Scolopax
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Catalogue of the Hunterian Collection in the Museum of the Royal College of by Museum, Royal College of Surgeons in London (1831)
"Seba. i. tab.62.f.3. Habitat. — America, and the West Indian Islands, particularly the Bahamas. Sub-Genus SCOLOPAX. — 1867. The skull of the Woodcock. ..."
2. A History of the Rarer British Birds by Thomas Campbell Eyton (1836)
"The Red-breasted Snipe is classed by Mr. Swainson, in the " Fauna Boreali Americana," among the genus Scolopax, under the name of Scolopax ..."
3. Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural History by American Museum of Natural History (1907)
"E. genus Scolopax. Scolopax LINNAEUS, Syst. Nat., ed. 10, I, 1758, 145. 14 species, representing 6 modern genera. 1. nibra, type of Guara Reich. 1852. ..."
4. American Ornithology; Or, The Natural History of the Birds of the United States. by Alexander Wilson, Charles Lucian Bonaparte, William Jardine (1832)
"Corresponds with the genus Scolopax, Cuvier, in having the dorsal grooves at the tip of the upper mandible, and in having this part dilated and rugose; ..."
5. The Animal Kingdom Arranged in Conformity with Its Organization by Georges Cuvier, Pierre André Latreille (1831)
"This family is composed of a multitude of Waders, most of which were included in the genus Scolopax of Linnaeus, and the remainder confounded in that of ..."
6. Check-list of North American Birds by American Ornithologists' Union (1910)
"[genus Scolopax LINN^US. Scolopax LINNAEUS, Syst. Nat., ed. 10, I, 1758, 145. Type, by subs. desig., Scolopax rusticola LINNAEUS (Gray, 1840). ..."
7. Annals and Magazine of Natural History by William Jardine (1841)
"Bonaparte, in his elaborate monograph of the genus Scolopax, in the ' Osserv. Cuv. Reg. An.' p. ..."