Definition of Genus Sialia
1. Noun. North American bluebirds.
Generic synonyms: Bird Genus
Group relationships: Subfamily Turdinae, Turdinae
Member holonyms: Bluebird
Genus Sialia Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Sialia Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Sialia
Literary usage of Genus Sialia
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Journal of Morphology by Wistar Institute of Anatomy and Biology (1889)
"There are four species of Bluebirds in the genus Sialia, and I have compared the skeletons of all. It is hardly necessary to say that in these several ..."
2. Western Birds by Harriet Williams Myers (1922)
"Sometimes, however, venturing down to the foothills to nest, and scattering through the valleys and plains, during the winter and migrations. genus Sialia: ..."
3. Birds of the Colorado Valley ...: Scientific and Popular Information by Elliott Coues (1878)
"It is essentially an Old World group, represented in the western hemisphere only by the characteristic American genus Sialia, with three species, ..."
4. Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural History by American Museum of Natural History (1907)
"genus Sialia. Sialia SWAINSON, Phil. Mag. (2), I, May, 1827, 369, incidentally employed, with cross-reference to ''Swains, in Zool. Journ, No. 10. ..."
5. Check-list of North American Birds by American Ornithologists' Union (1910)
"genus Sialia SWAINSON. Sialia SWAINSON, Philos. Mag., NS, I, May, 1827, 369. Type, by monotypy, Sialia azurea SWAINSON = Motacilla sialis LINN.EUS. ..."