Definition of Genus Tursiops
1. Noun. A genus of Delphinidae.
Generic synonyms: Mammal Genus
Group relationships: Delphinidae, Family Delphinidae
Member holonyms: Bottle-nosed Dolphin, Bottlenose, Bottlenose Dolphin
Genus Tursiops Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Tursiops Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Tursiops
Literary usage of Genus Tursiops
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Barnacles (Cirripedia) Contained in the Collections of the U.S. National by Henry Augustus Pilsbry (1907)
"Delphinus bairdii Dali. See page 287. Genus TURSIOPS. Tursiops gillii Dalí. Proc. California Acad. Sei., V, p. 13, printed in advance, January 29, 1873; ..."
2. Catalogue of Mammalia in the Indian Museum, Calcutta by John Anderson, William Lutley Sclater, Indian Museum (1891)
"True Bull. US Nat. Mus., no. 36, p. 59). [No specimen in the Indian Museum.] Genus TURSIOPS. Tursiops, Gervais Hist. ..."
3. California Mammals by Frank Stephens (1906)
"... Expansion of flukes i'—6" i'—5" Height of dorsal fin 7" 7" Circumference before the dorsal fin . ., 3'—4" 3'—3" genus Tursiops GERVAIS. (Dolphin like. ..."
4. Annual Report by Smithsonian Institution (1878)
"... the skin of a cinnamon bear, from Mr. FO Matteson ; skins of antarctic seals, from Captain Fuller; and a skeleton of a porpoise of the genus Tursiops, ..."