Definition of Genus Zeus
1. Noun. Type genus of the family Zeidae.
Generic synonyms: Fish Genus
Group relationships: Family Zeidae, Zeidae
Member holonyms: John Dory, Zeus Faber
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Zeus
Literary usage of Genus Zeus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Geology of New Jersey by New Jersey Geological Survey, George Hammell Cook (1868)
"... specimens from the same locality, and from South Amboy, Atlantic City, etc. They are most abundant in September and later, until winter. Genus ZEUS. ..."
2. The Copepodologist's Cabinet: A Biographical and Bibliographical History by David M. Damkaer (2002)
"... a new genus and species found on the fish genus Zeus by Rudolphi while searching for worms at Naples in 1817. Rudolphi also gave Nordmann his notes on ..."
3. The Fisheries Exhibition Literature. by William Clowes and Sons (1884)
"GENUS Zeus.—Body elevated and very much compressed ; cleft of the mouth wide ; mouth very protractile. Teeth small in the jaws and on the vomer, ..."
4. Proceedings of the Linnean Society of New South Wales by Linnean Society of New South Wales (1881)
"Body elevated, covered with very small or rudimentary scales or bony protuberances. Genus ZEUS, Cuv. Body much compressed and elevated ; cleft ..."