Definition of Genus argentina
1. Noun. Type genus of the Argentinidae: argentines.
Generic synonyms: Fish Genus
Group relationships: Argentinidae, Family Argentinidae
Member holonyms: Argentine
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Argentina
Literary usage of Genus argentina
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Reports on the Progress of Zoology and Botany, 1841, 1842 by Ray Society (1845)
"... and a second species of the Mediterranean genus, Argentina. In that country also is continued, and now nearly completed, the purely Iconographic work of ..."
2. Reports of Explorations and Surveys, to Ascertain the Most Practicable and by Joseph Henry, Spencer Fullerton Baird, United States War Dept, United States Army. Corps of Engineers (1855)
"... were as many traits which seemingly militated in favor of the genus Argentina. After considering, however, the value attached to the dentition in the ..."
3. The New International Encyclopædia edited by Daniel Coit Gilman, Harry Thurston Peck, Frank Moore Colby (1902)
"It consists of a coat of silvery fibres. Representatives of the genus (Argentina) are found on both shores of America. See Plate of WHITEFISH, SMELT, ETC. ..."
4. Scientific Investigations by Great Britain Fishery Board for Scotland, Fishery Board for Scotland (1907)
"... smaller fish measure about 5mm. in length and 2'5mm. in depth, and these have the posterior end rather more pointed than in the others. genus argentina. ..."