Definition of Genus cyphomandra
1. Noun. Tree tomato.
Generic synonyms: Asterid Dicot Genus
Group relationships: Family Solanaceae, Potato Family, Solanaceae
Member holonyms: Tamarillo, Tree Tomato
Genus Cyphomandra Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Cyphomandra Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Cyphomandra
Literary usage of Genus cyphomandra
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Illustrations of South American Plants by John Miers (1857)
"... but not published till 1845, and while these were in type, Dr. Sendtner contributed to the Munich flora his genus Cyphomandra, identical with the above, ..."
2. The Forcing Book: A Manual of the Cultivation of Vegetables in Glass Houses by Liberty Hyde Bailey (1897)
"The genus Cyphomandra was separated from Solanum by Martius in 1845. The latest account of the genus Cyphomandra admits 38 species, all South American. ..."
3. Annals and Magazine of Natural History by William Jardine (1855)
"... genus Cyphomandra, those species where the anthers are much curved, often rostrate at the apex (as in C. betacea and (J. ..."
4. The Treasury of Botany: A Popular Dictionary of the Vegetable Kingdom; with by John Lindley (1866)
"... collected together by Mr. Miers ; but In the latest monograph of that order, the majority of them are combined with the older genus Cyphomandra ..."
5. Journal of the Royal Horticultural Society by Royal Horticultural Society (Great Britain). (1870)
"... Cav., a species now referred to the genus Cyphomandra, which differs from Solanum merely in ..."