Definition of Genus ensis
1. Noun. Razor clams.
Generic synonyms: Mollusk Genus
Group relationships: Family Solenidae, Solenidae
Member holonyms: Jackknife Clam, Knife-handle, Razor Clam
Genus Ensis Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Ensis Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Ensis
Literary usage of Genus ensis
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. A Conchological Manual by George Brettingham Sowerby (1846)
"Sw. A genus consisting of SOLEN ensis, Auct. fig. 60, and other species similarly curved. Genus ENSIS, Schum. ENSIS. Schum. ..."
2. The Genera of Recent Mollusca: Arranged According to Their Organization by Henry Adams, Arthur Adams (1858)
"Genus ENSIS, Schumacher. Siphons separate, short. Shell transversely greatly elongated, gaping and rounded at each end, beaks anterior. ..."
3. The Shell Book: A Popular Guide to a Knowledge of the Families of Living by Julia Ellen Rogers (1908)
"Genus ENSIS, Schum. Shell elongated, transverse, curved or straight, gaping and squarish at ends; siphons short, divided; hinge teeth two and three at upper ..."
4. American Journal of Conchology by George Washington Tryon, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia Conchological Section (1867)
"Ex. pl. 33, f. 6. Obtained at Singapore. genus ensis, Schumacker. Ess. 143, 1817. 1. E. Americanus, Beck. lI. and A. Adams, Gm. of Shells, ii. 342, 1858. 2. ..."
5. Bulletins of American Paleontology by Cornell University, Paleontological Research Institution (1895)
"West American razor-clams of the genus Ensis. San Diego Soc. Nat. Hist., Trans., vol. 11, No. 15, pp. 393-404, 1 pl. 1953b. Notices of new West American ..."