Definition of Genus genetta
1. Noun. Genets.
Generic synonyms: Mammal Genus
Group relationships: Family Viverridae, Family Viverrinae, Viverridae, Viverrinae
Member holonyms: Genet, Genetta Genetta
Genus Genetta Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Genetta Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Genetta
Literary usage of Genus genetta
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Century Dictionary: An Encyclopedic Lexicon of the English Language by William Dwight Whitney (1889)
"... the Genetta vulgaris or Viverra genetta, and other species of the restricted genus Genetta. The common genet inhabits southern Europe, western Asia, ..."
2. Catalogue of the Hunterian Collection in the Museum of the Royal College of by Museum, Royal College of Surgeons in London (1831)
"Sub-Genus GENETTA. 328. Skeleton of the Genet, or Gray Weasel. Genetta vulgaris (Viverra Genetta—Lin: La Genetta—Buff:} Fig.—Shaw, Zooi. i. pi. 96. ..."
3. List of the Vertebrated Animals Now Or Lately Living in the Gardens of the by London Zoo (London, England), Philip Lutley Sclater (1883)
"Genus GENETTA. 177. Genetta vulgaris (Less.). Common Genet. Hab. South Europe. а. Male. Hybrid between this species and male Genetta tigrina. ..."
4. The Encyclopedia Americana: A Library of Universal Knowledge (1919)
"GENET, jê-nèt', a civet (qv) of the genus Genetta; also, a trade-name for the fur of this animal, or of some other fur like it. The best known is the common ..."
5. East African Mammals in the United States National Museum by Ned Hollister (1918)
"Genus GENETTA Oken. 1816. Genetta OKEN, Lehrb. Naturg., 3ter Theil, 2te Abth., p. 1010. (G. genet ta.) On account of the very great amount of individual ..."
6. Proceedings by Zoological Society of London (1882)
"The genus Genetta agrees with Viverra in all the characters of the latter before enumerated, except Nos. 24, 38, and 42 ; and there are, besides, ..."