Definition of Genus lepomis
1. Noun. Bream.
Generic synonyms: Fish Genus
Group relationships: Centrarchidae, Family Centrarchidae
Member holonyms: Lepomis Gibbosus, Pumpkinseed, Bluegill, Lepomis Macrochirus, Lepomis Punctatus, Spotted Sunfish, Stumpknocker
Genus Lepomis Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Lepomis Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Lepomis
Literary usage of Genus lepomis
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Transactions of the Kansas Academy of Science by Kansas Academy of Science (1885)
"genus lepomis, Rafinesque. L. cyanellus ( Raf.), Red-Eye, Blue Spotted Sunfish. Common. ( Raf. Journ. de Phys., 1819. ..."
2. Bass, Pike, Perch and Others by James Alexander Henshall (1903)
"... gill-rakers 9; preopercle entire; mouth very large; opercle ends in a black convex flap. genus lepomis Lepomis pallidus. Blue Sunfish. ..."
3. Bass, Pike, Perch and Other Game Fishes of America by James Alexander Henshall (1919)
"genus lepomis Lepomis pallidus. Blue Sunfish. Body short and deep, compressed; head 3; depth; eye 3J; DX 12; A. III, 12; scales 7-46-16; 5 rows on cheeks; ..."
4. Report of the Geological Survey of Ohio by Geological Survey of Ohio (1882)
"The genus Lepomis «as framed iu 1819, to include all the Sun fishes, but the Labrus auritus, L. was expressly indicated as its type. ..."
5. Bass, Pike, Perch and Others by James Alexander Henshall (1903)
"... 6 to 8 rows on cheeks; teeth small and numerous; gill-rakers 9; preopercle entire; mouth very large; opercle ends in a black convex flap. genus lepomis ..."
6. Reports of the North Carolina Geological and Economic Survey (1907)
"In the present account, the genus Lepomis is regarded as embracing all the species found in North Carolina, and may be denned as follows: Body ovate, ..."