Definition of Genus Lespedeza
1. Noun. Genus of shrubs or herbs of tropical Asia and Australia and the eastern United States.
Group relationships: Papilionoideae, Subfamily Papilionoideae
Member holonyms: Bush Clover, Lespedeza, Bicolor Lespediza, Ezo-yama-hagi, Lespedeza Bicolor, Jap Clover, Japan Clover, Japanese Clover, Lespedeza Striata, Korean Lespedeza, Lespedeza Stipulacea, Lespedeza Cuneata, Lespedeza Sericea, Sericea Lespedeza
Genus Lespedeza Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Lespedeza Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Lespedeza
Literary usage of Genus Lespedeza
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Harper's New Monthly Magazine by Henry Mills Alden (1874)
"The treatment of the genus Lespedeza by Dr. Maximowicz in his study of the flora of Eastern Asia is more satisfactory, but American botanists have no right ..."
2. Familiar Lectures on Botany: Explaining the Structure, Classification, and by Lincoln Phelps (1854)
"... the legume is so diminutive as to be concealed within the calyx. The genus Lespedeza is distinguished by its lenticular, one-seeded, unarmed, ..."
3. The Chicago Medical Journal and Examiner (1884)
"genus Lespedeza (Bush Clover). L. violacea, var. sessili- flora. Alterative, diuretic. Genus Tephrosia (Hoary Pea). T. Virginiana (Goat's Rice, Catgut). ..."
4. The Forage and Fiber Crops in America by Thomas Forsyth Hunt (1907)
"In the genus Lespedeza there is one or at most two joints. The leaves have three leaflets, the lateral leaflets being on the side of the leaf stalk, ..."
5. Transactions of the Kansas Academy of Science by Kansas Academy of Science (1896)
"Notes on the clays of New York and their economic value, by Heinrich Ries; pp. 40-47. The North American species of the genus Lespedeza, by NL Britton; pp. ..."