Definition of Genus leptinotarsa
1. Noun. Colorado potato beetles.
Generic synonyms: Arthropod Genus
Group relationships: Chrysomelidae, Family Chrysomelidae
Member holonyms: Colorado Beetle, Colorado Potato Beetle, Leptinotarsa Decemlineata, Potato Beetle, Potato Bug
Genus Leptinotarsa Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Leptinotarsa Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Leptinotarsa
Literary usage of Genus leptinotarsa
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Canadian Entomologist by Entomological Society of Canada (1863-1871), Entomological Society of Canada (1951- ), Entomological Society of Ontario (1907)
"1* "In this contribution have been brought together data concerning evolution in the genus Leptinotarsa, Stai, as gathered from various sources: [during 11 ..."
2. Fifty Years of Darwinism: Modern Aspects of Evolution; Centennial Addresses by Edward Bagnall Poulton, John Merle Coulter, David Starr Jordan, Daniel Trembly MacDougal, Edmund Beecher Wilson, William Ernest Castle, Charles Benedict Davenport, Carl H. Elgenmann, Henry Fairfield Osborn, Granville Stanley Hall (1909)
"The results of the work by Tower, in which beetles of the genus Leptinotarsa were subjected to various combinations and alterations in climatic conditions ..."
3. Year Book by Carnegie Institution of Washington (1906)
"In the genus Leptinotarsa evolution has been determinate and heritable modifications have been produced only in those directions which are compatible with ..."
4. The Mechanism of Evolution in Leptinotarsa by William Lawrence Tower, Joseph Kumler Breitenbecher (1918)
"... the genus leptinotarsa, affords an opportunity for the investigation of heterogeneity in a highly " variable " organic " character. ..."
5. Journal of the New York Entomological Society by New York Entomological Society (1908)
"... Beetles of the genus leptinotarsa. WL Tower. Carnegie Institute, Washington, 1906. Verhandlungen dkk zool.-bot. Gesellschaft. Wien, LVI, No. lo. Proc. ..."
6. Science by American Association for the Advancement of Science (1910)
"... of this kind can be urged against the careful and prolonged studies of Tower on the evolution of chrysomelid beetles of the genus Leptinotarsa. ..."