Definition of Genus lithospermum
1. Noun. Annual or perennial herbaceous or shrubby plants; cosmopolitan except Australia.
Generic synonyms: Plant Genus
Group relationships: Borage Family, Boraginaceae, Family Boraginaceae
Member holonyms: Gromwell, Lithospermum Officinale, Lithospermum Caroliniense, Puccoon, Hoary Puccoon, Indian Paint, Lithospermum Canescens
Genus Lithospermum Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Lithospermum Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Lithospermum
Literary usage of Genus lithospermum
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. A Dictionary of Medical Terminology, Dental Surgery, and the Collateral Sciences by Chapin Aaron Harris (1855)
"... and when pressed, discharging its contents, which, seemingly, is of a sebaceous nature. MILIUM Sons. Cromwell ja plant of the genus Lithospermum. MILK. ..."
2. The British Flower Garden: Containing Coloured Figures & Descriptions of the by Robert Sweet, Edwin Dalton Smith (1827)
"... at the Nursery of Mr. Lee, at Hammersmith, in June last; we have placed it in the genus Lithospermum rather than Pulmonaria, as has been done by Lehman, ..."
3. Annals of the Lyceum of Natural History of New York by New York Academy of Sciences (1828)
"This and the preceding species should perhaps be referred to the genus Lithospermum, as now characterised by Lehmann. 292. LITHOSPERMUM INCISUM, Lehm ..."
4. An Etymological Dictionary of the Scottish Language: To which is Prefixed, a by John Jamieson (1887)
"... of the genus Lithospermum, anciently used in the cure of gravel : hence its name. This plant was said to be used also in procuring abortion ; and in ..."