Definition of Genus parus
1. Noun. Type genus of the family Paridae.
Generic synonyms: Bird Genus
Group relationships: Family Paridae, Paridae
Member holonyms: Chickadee, Parus Bicolor, Tufted Titmouse, Blue Tit, Parus Caeruleus, Tomtit
Genus Parus Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Parus Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Parus
Literary usage of Genus parus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Encyclopaedia Britannica: A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, and General by Thomas Spencer Baynes (1888)
"... the greater part of the year tho various species of the genus Parus associate m family ... to the genus Parus, but in many respects differing from it, ..."
2. A Hand-book to the Birds of Great Britain by Richard Bowdler Sharpe (1896)
"genus parus. Parus, Linn., Syst. Nat., i., p. 341 (1766). Type, P. major, Linn. The genus Parus includes not only the True Tits, ..."
3. The Encyclopedia Britannica: A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, Literature and by Hugh Chisholm (1911)
"These go to make up the genus Parus of Linnaeus, and with a large number of other ... Akin to the genus Parus, but m many respects differing from it. is ..."
4. An Introduction to the Birds of Great Britain by John Gould (1873)
"They are mostly pert and lively birds, assuming many varied positions while searching for food among the leafy branches of trees and shrubs. Genus PARUS. ..."
5. Illustrations of British Ornithology by Prideaux John Selby (1833)
"The Titmice (or typical members of the genus Parus), from the increasing strength and ... genus parus, LINN. TITMOUSE. ..."
6. The Auk: Quarterly Journal of Ornithology by American Ornithologists' Union, Nuttall Ornithological Club (1876)
"... that the genus Parus, as limited by me, cannot be split into full genera: nevertheless a "subgenus" Cyanistes (among others) is recognized by some ..."