Definition of Genus phylloxera
1. Noun. Type genus of the Phylloxeridae: plant lice.
Generic synonyms: Arthropod Genus
Group relationships: Family Phylloxeridae, Phylloxeridae
Member holonyms: Grape Louse, Grape Phylloxera, Phylloxera Vitifoleae
Genus Phylloxera Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Phylloxera Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Phylloxera
Literary usage of Genus phylloxera
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. An Introduction to the Modern Classification of Insects: Founded on the by John Obadiah Westwood (1840)
"with the expression that it certainly belongs to his genus Phylloxera; and MV Audouin has supplied me with both sexes of the species found on the oak. ..."
2. Library of Natural History by Richard Lydekker (1901)
"less, and give birth to living young, or, as in the genus Phylloxera, ... In the genus Phylloxera, the males are wingless and each of the sexual females ..."
3. The Journal of Horticulture, Cottage Gardener and Home Farmer (1881)
"The following interesting remarks on the genus Phylloxera by a skilled ... S. С.," have also been published in the Journal :— " The genus Phylloxera, ..."
4. Nature by Norman Lockyer, Nature Publishing Group (1875)
"Observations on the reproduction of the Phylloxera of the vine, by M. Balbiani.—The American species of the genus Phylloxera, ..."
5. Bulletin (1889)
"... recognized by the number of joints to the antennae. We have only a single genus to each of these tribes as represented in this country. Genus PHYLLOXERA ..."
6. Report by Oklahoma Adjutant-general's office (1859)
"But on gathering from different sources the details of the European plant-louse named Quercus, on which the genus Phylloxera has been founded by ..."
7. The Popular Science Monthly (1874)
"Let as now take a closer insight into the nature of the insect. The genus Phylloxera is characterized by having three-jointed an- ..."