Definition of Genus tympanuchus
1. Noun. Prairie chickens.
Generic synonyms: Bird Genus
Group relationships: Family Tetraonidae, Tetraonidae
Member holonyms: Prairie Chicken, Prairie Fowl, Prairie Grouse
Genus Tympanuchus Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Tympanuchus Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Tympanuchus
Literary usage of Genus tympanuchus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural History by American Museum of Natural History (1907)
"Tetrao lagopus Linn., the twelfth and last species of the genus. genus tympanuchus. Tympanuchus Gloger, Gemein. Hand, und Hilfsbuch Naturg., 1842, 3£6. ..."
2. Transactions of the Connecticut Academy of Arts and Sciences by Connecticut Academy of Arts and Sciences (1915)
"... compared the specimen with the humeri of all of our larger species of existing grouse, and I find that it falls squarely in the genus Tympanuchus, ..."
3. The Birds of Eastern North America Known to Occur East of the Nineteenth by Charles Barney Cory, Field Museum of Natural History (1899)
"genus tympanuchus. GLOGER. 245 (30.1) TYMPANUCHUS AMERICANUS. (REICH.) Prairie Hen. Prairies of Mississippi Valley, Kentucky, Ohio, lad!tma, Michigan, ..."
4. Upland Game Birds by Edwyn Sandys, Theodore Strong Van Dyke (1902)
"genus tympanuchus — Head crested; winglike tufts above air-sacs on neck; tail short, rounded. The pinnated grouse, T. amcr- ..."
5. Upland Game Birds by Edwyn Sandys, Theodore Strong Van Dyke (1902)
"genus tympanuchus — Head crested; winglike tufts above air-sacs on neck; tail short, rounded. The pinnated grouse, T. amer- ..."