Definition of Goodyera
1. Noun. Genus of small orchids of the northern hemisphere with creeping rhizomes and stalked ovate leaves and small flowers.
Generic synonyms: Liliopsid Genus, Monocot Genus
Group relationships: Family Orchidaceae, Orchid Family, Orchidaceae
Member holonyms: Helleborine, Rattlesnake Plantain
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Goodyera Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Goodyera
Literary usage of Goodyera
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Standard Cyclopedia of Horticulture: A Discussion for the Amateur, and by Liberty Hyde Bailey (1915)
"Following this latter disposition, the characterization of Epipactis is the same as the characterization given here for goodyera, the name Epipactis merely ..."
2. The Various Contrivances by which Orchids are Fertilised by Insects by Charles Darwin (1904)
"... alone (goodyera) the pollen-grains are collected into packets as in Orchis. Epipactis and goodyera agree pretty closely in their manner of fertilisation ..."
3. The Window Gardener by Edward Sprague Rand (1876)
"goodyera. rT^HE word " orchid" conveys to most minds an idea of a plant which grows only in great heat, and requires a peculiar mode of culture. ..."
4. Handbook of Hardy Herbaceous and Alpine Flowers by William Sutherland (1871)
"... it will often luxuriate better in sandy moist peat alone than in loam alone; goodyera pubescens (Downy G.)—There are several hardy species of this genus ..."