Definition of Government department
1. Noun. A department of government.
Specialized synonyms: Ministry, Treasury, Department Of Local Government, Local Department, Special Branch, State Department, Department Of The Federal Government, Federal Department, Federal Office, Admiralty
Generic synonyms: Department, Section
Terms within: Instrumentality
Government Department Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Government Department Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Government Department
Literary usage of Government department
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Journal by Royal Society of Arts (Great Britain) (1860)
"... danger of the Society trenching upon a government department which appeared to be very well attended to. They ought to encourage, as far as possible, ..."
2. Simplified Library School Rules: Card Catalog, Accession, Book Numbers by Melvil Dewey (1904)
"3g government department. Enter government departments (country or state) including national or royal libraries, museums, galleries, etc. under name of ..."
3. The Twentieth Century by Caroline Farrar Ware (1908)
"As an indication of the business methods of this government department, ... In a government department precedent is an adequate excuse for non-compliance ..."
4. English Local Government by Sidney Webb, Beatrice Potter Webb (1922)
"direct administration by a central government department that leads to this systematic denial of publicity. A second feature of direct administration by a ..."
5. Commercial Goodwill: Its History, Value, and Treatment in Accounts by Percy Dewe Leake (1921)
"And the terms of any agreement or licence concluded between the inventor or patentee and any person other than a government department, shall be inoperative ..."