Definition of Grass fern
1. Noun. Epiphytic fern found in lowland forests of tropical America.
Generic synonyms: Fern
Group relationships: Genus Vittaria, Vittaria
Grass Fern Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Grass Fern Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Grass Fern
Literary usage of Grass fern
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. A Series of Facts, Hints, Observationa and Experiments on the Different by William Billington (1825)
"... itself in the ground, to be able to make a vigorous shoot, and to cope with the rank grass, fern, &c. small plants have but a poor chance to succeed. ..."
2. Notes on the Northwest, Or Valley of the Upper Mississippi by Wm J A Bradford (1846)
"Dog wheat. Wild rye. Also, a new species of Ely. Or a new genus between rye and barley. Moor grass. Thorn grass. Arrow grass. Beard grass. Fern. Horsetail. ..."
3. A Treatise on the Culture and Management of Fruit Trees ...: To which is by William Forsyth (1824)
"You may thatch the tree on the outside with the long leaves of the common fern ; when you can get these, there will be no occasion for short grass. Fern ..."
4. The Geographical Journal by Royal Geographical Society (Great Britain). (1896)
"Roman laurel and grass-fern were plentiful. The morning of the 25th broke cloudless and bright. Two of our party were preparing to make an exploration ..."