Definition of Group action
1. Noun. Action taken by a group of people.
Specialized synonyms: Vote, Procession, Action, Military Action, Battle, Conflict, Struggle, Revolution, Social Activity, Communalism, Alliance, Confederation, Decolonisation, Decolonization, Disbandment, Disestablishment, Dealing, Dealings, Transaction, Stampede, Social Control, Coup, Coup D'etat, Putsch, Takeover, Internationalisation, Internationalization, Nationalisation, Nationalization, Exchange, Interchange, Exchange, Rally, Compliance, Submission, Competition, Contention, Rivalry, Resistance, Nonresistance, Due Process, Due Process Of Law, Action, Legalisation, Legalization, Legitimation, Separation, Desegregation, Integrating, Integration, Cooperation, Brainstorming, Assemblage, Assembly, Gathering, Attendance, Attending, Nonattendance, Getting Even, Paying Back, Return, Democratisation, Democratization, Engagement, Involution, Involvement, Participation, Non-engagement, Non-involvement, Nonparticipation, Ethnic Cleansing, Socialisation, Socialization
Specialized synonyms: Restoration
Definition of Group action
1. Noun. (group theory) a way of describing symmetries of objects using groups ¹
2. Noun. (sociology) A situation in which a large number of agents take action simultaneously in order to achieve a common goal; their actions are usually coordinated. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Lexicographical Neighbors of Group Action
Literary usage of Group action
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Group Invariance Applications in Statistics by Morris L. Eaton (1989)
"Although Definition 2.1 captures mathematically what one means by a left group action, in concrete examples, the explicit use of F can be mathematical ..."
2. Fundamentals of Sociology: With Special Emphasis Upon Community and by Edwin Asbury Kirkpatrick (1916)
"... II EVOLUTION OF group action The formation of groups. The long period of helpless infancy in man makes comparatively permanent groups inevitable. ..."
3. Stochastic Inequalities by Moshe Shaked, Yung Liang Tong (1992)
"IMS Lecture Notes - Monograph Series Volume 22 (1993) A group action ON COVARIANCES ... We introduce a group action on covariance matrices and show that a ..."
4. The Position of the Laborer in a System of Nationalism: A Study in the Labor by Edgar Stevenson Furniss (1920)
"... his interests and those of all other members of his group coincide — is sufficiently strong to produce group action in response to any given stimulus. ..."
5. Select Essays in Anglo-American Legal History by Association of American Law Schools, Mikell, William Ephraim, 1868-, Ernst Freund, John Henry Wigmore (1909)
"Instances of early group- action might be multiplied almost indefinitely. ... When the group-action becomes organised, the group is readily conceived to act ..."
6. Sophus Lie's 1880 transformation group paper by Sophus Lie, Robert Hermann (1975)
"1 XM A local Lie group action of (LG) on M is determined by a mapping U+M denoted multiplicatively as (g,p) + gp which satisfies all the usual algebraic ..."
7. The Church at Play: A Manual for Directors of Social and Recreational Life by Norman Egbert Richardson (1922)
"Secure discipline through group action. How long to play a game. Music and rhythm. Control through mental alertness. We may either smother the divine fire ..."