Definition of Hairy tongue
1. Noun. A benign side effect of some antibiotics; dark overgrowth of the papillae of the tongue.
Medical Definition of Hairy tongue
1. A tongue with abnormal elongation of the filiform papillae, resulting in a thickened furry appearance. Synonym: glossotrichia, trichoglossia. (05 Mar 2000)
Hairy Tongue Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Hairy Tongue Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Hairy Tongue
Literary usage of Hairy tongue
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Proceedings by Philadelphia County Medical Society (1891)
"S. SOLIS-COHEN exhibited MICROSCOPIC SPECIMENS FROM A CASE OF hairy tongue. These hair-like specimens, composed of pigmented epithelium, were removed from ..."
2. Twentieth Century Practice: An International Encyclopedia of Modern Medical by Thomas Lathrop Stedman (1897)
"... hairy tongue. very rarely upon isolated portions of the buccal and labial mucous membrane. The remaining portions of the tongue present an absolutely ..."
3. The New Sydenham Society's Lexicon of Medicine and the Allied Sciences ...by Henry Power, Leonard William Sedgwick, New Sydenham Society by Henry Power, Leonard William Sedgwick, New Sydenham Society (1882)
"... Having a hairy tongue. trees, with alternate, exstipulate, simple от compound .... hairy tongue ..."
4. Diseases of the Skin: A Textbook for Students and Practitioners by J. M. H. MacLeod (1921)
"145)- BLACK hairy tongue Syn.: Hyperkeratosis linguae ; Lingua nigra ... half an inch and give rise to a hairy appearance, hence the name " hairy tongue. ..."
5. Tobacco Effects In The Mouth by Robert E. Mecklenburg (1995)
"The condition may improve following the cessation or reduction of smoking (8). It usually responds to antifungal therapy. hairy tongue is an overgrowth of ..."
6. Diseases of the Nose and Throat by Algernon Coolidge (1915)
"... or the tongue may become more or less fissured. Treatment does not seem to affect it. hairy tongue This condition, also called black ..."