Definition of Honorary degree
1. Noun. A degree conferred to honor the recipient.
Generic synonyms: Academic Degree, Degree
Specialized synonyms: Artsd, Doctor Of Arts, Doctor Of Fine Arts, Doctor Of Humane Letters, Doctor Of Humanities, Doctor Of Laws, Lld, Doctor Of Science, Ds, Scd
Honorary Degree Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Honorary Degree Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Honorary Degree
Literary usage of Honorary degree
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Publications of the Astronomical Society of the Pacific by Astronomical Society of the Pacific (1896)
"honorary degree CONFERRED UPON PROFESSOR HOLDEN. The University of the Pacific, on its last Commencement Day, conferred the honorary degree of Doctor of ..."
2. The New England Historical and Genealogical Register by Henry Fritz-Gilbert Waters (1894)
"He received the honorary degree of Master of Arts from Yale College in 1802, and from Brown University in 1814. The degree of Doctor of Divinity was given ..."
3. Memoirs of the Life of Sir Walter Scott, Bart by John Gibson Lockhart (1837)
"Commemorations, and accept the honorary degree of Doctor in Civil Law. It was impossible for him to leave Scotland again that season; and on various ..."
4. The Twentieth Century Biographical Dictionary of Notable Americans ...by Rossiter Johnson, Brown, John Howard, 1840-1917, John Howard Brown, Johnson, Rossiter, 1840-1931 by Rossiter Johnson, Brown, John Howard, 1840-1917, John Howard Brown, Johnson, Rossiter, 1840-1931 (1904)
"He received the honorary degree of Ph.D. in 1869 from the University of the State of ... The honorary degree of DD was conferred on him by Beloit college in ..."
5. Lucius Q.C. Lamar: His Life, Times, and Speeches, 1825-1893 by Edward Mayes (1896)
"Anecdotes of Mr. Lamar—honorary degree Conferred by Harvard University—Second Marriage—Oration on John C. Calhoun—Speech at ..."