Definition of Honorary society
1. Noun. An institution for the advancement of art or science or literature.
Generic synonyms: Establishment, Institution
Specialized synonyms: Academy Of Motion Picture Arts And Sciences, Academy Of Television Arts And Sciences, French Academy, National Academy Of Sciences, Royal Academy, Royal Academy Of Arts, Royal Society, Royal Society Of London For Improving Natural Knowledge
Member holonyms: Academician
Derivative terms: Academic, Academician, Academician, Academician
Honorary Society Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Honorary Society Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Honorary Society
Literary usage of Honorary society
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Baird's Manual of American College Fraternities (1912)
"^N HONORARY society at the University of Illinois intended to give recognition to students maintaining a high standard of scholarship in the commercial ..."
2. History of Pittsburgh and Environs: Biographical by George Thornton Fleming, American Historical Company (1922)
"His college fraternity is the Phi Kappa Sigma, University of Maine chapter, and Phi Kappa Phi (honorary society). His club is the Americus, his church the ..."
3. Publication of the American Sociological Society by American Sociological Association (1917)
"At the same meeting, Professor John R. Commons, representing the Order of Artus, a national honorary society for economics, was present and said that the ..."
4. The Sorority Handbook by Ida (Shaw) Martin (1919)
"Another agency that is making for uniform standards is the honorary society. ... It is only recently that this honorary society began to become really ..."