Definition of Horizontal surface
1. Noun. A flat surface at right angles to a plumb line. "Park the car on the level"
Specialized synonyms: Floor, Flooring, Paved Surface, Platform
Generic synonyms: Surface
Derivative terms: Level
Horizontal Surface Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Horizontal Surface Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Horizontal Surface
Literary usage of Horizontal surface
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. A Manual of Civil Engineering by William John Macquorn Rankine, William J. Millar (1907)
"A horizontal surface is a surface which is everywhere perpendicular to the ... For a horizontal surface at the mean level of the sea, the dimensions of that ..."
2. The Encyclopædia Britannica: A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, Literature and by Hugh Chisholm (1911)
"From this we can at once determine the nature of the illumination which would be produced on a horizontal surface if the arc lamp were suspended at a given ..."
3. Mechanics: An Elementary Text-book, Theoretical and Practical, for Colleges by Richard Glazebrook (1895)
"Thrust on a horizontal surface. A value has already been found for the resultant thrust on a horizontal surface exposed to fluid pressure. ..."
4. A Treatise of Mechanics, Theoretical, Practical, and Descriptive by Olinthus Gregory (1815)
"... utid horizontal base the projection of abed upon the horizontal surface A BCD. II. Let us next consider any solid whatever cut into an indefinite number ..."
5. Report of the Annual Meeting (1835)
"Having first considered the rise of water in capillary tubes, he proceeds to find the weight of water raised by the horizontal surface of a solid elevated ..."