Definition of Judgment on the merits
1. Noun. Judgment rendered through analysis and adjudication of the factual issues presented.
Generic synonyms: Judgement, Judgment, Judicial Decision
Category relationships: Jurisprudence, Law
Judgment On The Merits Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Judgment On The Merits Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Judgment On The Merits
Literary usage of Judgment on the merits
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. A Treatise on the Law and Procedure of Receivers: With Forms; Being a by Henry Gabriel Tardy, John Wilson Smith (1920)
"... as would be done in case of a discharge made upon a final judgment on the merits and distribution of the property in accordance with such judgment.2 3. ..."
2. Judicial and Statutory Definitions of Words and Phrases by West Publishing Company (1904)
"Is a judgment on the merits, which is a bar on another action by the ... It la a settled rule that a judgment of nonsuit Is not a judgment on the merits, ..."
3. The Practice at Law, in Equity, and in Special Proceedings in All the Courts by William Wait (1874)
"judgment on the merits — Between defendants — For damages or money. and that no reply ... judgment on the merits. Form of judgment upon, after a, verdict. ..."
4. The Encyclopædia of Pleading and Practice: Under the Codes and Practice Acts by William Mark McKinney, Thomas Johnson Michie (1896)
"The discretion ought to be exercised so as to bring about a judgment on the merits of the case,8 unless the defendant has been guilty of inexcusable ..."
5. South Eastern Reporter by West Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals, West Publishing Company, South Carolina Supreme Court (1922)
"See, also, Draper v. Medlock, 122 Ga. 234. 50 SE 113, 69 LRA 483, 2 Ann. Gas. 650. 2. Judgment >S=»572(2)—On demurrer Is judgment on the merits, though more ..."