¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Definition of Kalam
1. a type of Muslim theology [n -S]
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Kalam Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Kalam
Literary usage of Kalam
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. A Oriental Biographical Dictionary: Founded on Materials Collected by the by Thomas William Beale, Henry George Keene (1881)
"... the poetical name of Wasfi, or praiseworthy, and the title of Mushkin-kalam, that is to say, out of whose pen flowed musk. He is the author of several ..."
2. The Guide of the Perplexed of Maimonides by Moses Maimonides, Michael Friedländer (1885)
"... and such an argument is not founded on the propositions of the kalam ; on the contrary it is a logical proof based on the theory of substance and form, ..."
3. Memorandum on the Progress of the Madras Presidency During the Last Forty by Seshayangar Srinivasa Raghavaiyangar (1893)
"... of paddy per Tanjore kalam (24 ' Measures) for a series of years in the Tanjore District. The mode of calculating the average current selling price for ..."
4. History of the Jews by Heinrich Graetz, Philipp Bloch (1902)
"... the Caliph Haroun Alrashid—Spread of the Jews in Europe—The Caliphs and the Jews—The study of philosophy—Sahal—The kalam— ..."