Definition of Korsakoff's psychosis
1. Noun. Dementia observed during the last stages of severe chronic alcoholism; involves loss of memory for recent events although long term memory is intact.
Generic synonyms: Dementedness, Dementia
Medical Definition of Korsakoff's psychosis
Korsakoff's Psychosis Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Korsakoff's Psychosis Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Korsakoff's Psychosis
Literary usage of Korsakoff's psychosis
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Text-book of Psychiatry: A Psychological Study of Insanity for Practitioners by Emanuel Mendel (1907)
"Under the name of Korsakoff,s psychosis (Jolly), a peculiar form of infection psychosis, first described by Korsakoff, is designated, which is associated in ..."
2. Alcohol and the Brain (1993)
"... WJ, AND MAIR, RG Memory enhancement in Korsakoff s psychosis by clonidine: Further evidence for a noradrenergic deficit. ..."
3. Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease by Philadelphia Neurological Society, American Neurological Association, Chicago Neurological Society, New York Neurological Association (1906)
"H« thought the condition must be a symptom-group, and that in alcoholic cases it can assume the type known as Korsakoff s psychosis. ..."
4. Clinical medicine ; Tuesday clinics at the Johns Hopkins Hospital by Lewellys Franklin Barker (1922)
"It has not the earmarks either of the Korsakoff s psychosis or of the paranoid state of the chronic alcoholic; it has nothing to do with a ..."
5. A Handbook of Medical Diagnosis: For the Use of Practitioners and Students by James Cornelius Wilson (1915)
"There may be mental symptoms—the so-called Korsakoff s psychosis—and there is a history of exposure to alcohol, to lead, to arsenic, or to diphtheria. ..."
6. Nervous and Mental Diseases by Archibald Church, Frederick Peterson (1914)
"See also Dementia. hypochondriasis, 812 Korsakoff s psychosis, 812 mania, 812 melancholia, 812 paranoid condition, 812 psychoses, 810, 813 Senility in ..."
7. Materia Medica: Pharmacology, Therapeutics and Prescription Writing for by Walter Arthur Bastedo (1918)
"... schema to show reflex arc, 273 Korsakoff "s psychosis, 347 Kroenig and Gauss method of producing twilight sleep, ..."