Definition of Least bittern
1. Noun. Small American bittern.
Generic synonyms: Bittern
Group relationships: Genus Ixobrychus, Ixobrychus
Least Bittern Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Least Bittern Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Least Bittern
Literary usage of Least bittern
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Chambers's Encyclopaedia: A Dictionary of Universal Knowledge (1901)
"The least bittern (B. exilis)\s another North American species, of very small size, which is also migratory, and somewhat social in its habits. ..."
2. Birds that Hunt and are Hunted: Life Histories of One Hundred and Seventy by Neltje Blanchan (1904)
"Other species, on the contrary, live singly or in pairs all the time. American Bittern, or Marsh Hen. least bittern. Great Blue Heron, or Blue Crane. ..."
3. Bird Studies with a Camera: With Introductory Chapters on the Outfit and by Frank Michler Chapman (1900)
"... THE least bittern AND SOME OTHER REED INHABITANTS 1Y experience with the Least Bittern leaves the eerie little creature a half-solved mystery, ..."
4. Neighbours of Field, Wood, and Stream: Or, Through the Year with Nature's by Morton Grinnell (1901)
"PART L Sora the Rail—Dwarf the least bittern—Webfoot the Black- duck—Green-wing the ... least bittern ..."