Definition of Leptinotarsa
1. Noun. Colorado potato beetles.
Generic synonyms: Arthropod Genus
Group relationships: Chrysomelidae, Family Chrysomelidae
Member holonyms: Colorado Beetle, Colorado Potato Beetle, Leptinotarsa Decemlineata, Potato Beetle, Potato Bug
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Leptinotarsa Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Leptinotarsa
Literary usage of Leptinotarsa
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Next Generation: A Study in the Physiology of Inheritance by Frances Gulick Jewett (1914)
"Potato bugs had arrived. They were crossing the state, destroying the crops and driving the farmers to despair. One afflicted man wrote leptinotarsa ..."
2. Investigations representing the departments by University of Chicago, E.F. Young, John Dewey (1903)
"leptinotarsa decemlineata. Section of the dorsal lamella of an elytron in the pupa, ... leptinotarsa decemlineata. Section from Same preparation as Fig. ..."
3. Investigations Representing the Departments; Zoölogy, Anatomy, Physiology by University of Chicago (1903)
"leptinotarsa decemlineata. Section of the dorsal lamella of an elytron in the pupa, ... leptinotarsa decemlineata. Section from same preparation as Fig. ..."
4. The Canadian Entomologist by Entomological Society of Canada (1863-1871), Entomological Society of Canada (1951- ), Entomological Society of Ontario (1907)
"TOWER'S EVOLUTION IN leptinotarsa. BY FRANK E. LUTZ, COLD SPRING HARBOR, NY One of the most important of the recent studies of evolution, ..."
5. Year Book by Carnegie Institution of Washington (1906)
"In four species of leptinotarsa the important fact has been demonstrated repeatedly ... Permanent modifications of several species of leptinotarsa have been ..."
6. The Review of Applied Entomology by Commonwealth Institute of Entomology, Imperial Bureau of Entomology (1916)
"[The Colorado beetle, leptinotarsa decemlineata, Say, and its appearance in the Stade ... This paper deals with the outbreak of leptinotarsa decemlineata, ..."
7. The Entomologist; an Illustrated Journal of General Entomology by Edward Newman, Royal Entomological Society of London (1888)
"It seems yet somewhat doubtful which is the real culprit amongst several closely-allied species of leptinotarsa ; the figures sent ..."