Definition of Lime tree
1. Noun. Any of various related trees bearing limes.
Terms within: Lime
Group relationships: Genus Citrus
Generic synonyms: Citrus, Citrus Tree
2. Noun. Any of various deciduous trees of the genus Tilia with heart-shaped leaves and drooping cymose clusters of yellowish often fragrant flowers; several yield valuable timber.
Group relationships: Genus Tilia, Tilia
Terms within: Basswood, Linden
Specialized synonyms: American Basswood, American Lime, Tilia Americana, Small-leaved Lime, Small-leaved Linden, Tilia Cordata, Cottonwood, Tilia Heterophylla, White Basswood, Japanese Lime, Japanese Linden, Tilia Japonica, Silver Lime, Silver Linden, Tilia Tomentosa
Generic synonyms: Tree
Lime Tree Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Lime Tree Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Lime Tree
Literary usage of Lime tree
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The North American Sylva, Or, A Description of the Forest Trees, of the by François André Michaux, Augustus Lucas Hillhouse (1819)
"THE Downy lime tree belongs to the southern parts of the United States and to the Floridas. It grows of preference on the borders of rivers and large ..."
2. Arboretum Et Fruticetum Britannicum: Or, The Trees and Shrubs of Britain by John Claudius Loudon (1854)
"In Sweden, where lime woods extend over the low part of the country for many miles together, the common lime tree is met with, in some places, perhaps for a ..."
3. The Trees of America: Native and Foreign, Pictorially and Botanically by Daniel Jay Browne (1846)
"The lime-tree appears to have been known to the Greeks and Romans. ... In modern times, the lime-tree was one of the first to ..."
4. A Manual of Forestry by William Schlich (1904)
"The wood of the lime-tree is very light and soft, little durable, and of small heating power. Specific gravity about •45. The timber is not fit for building ..."
5. On Landed Property, and the Economy of Estates: Comprehending the Relation by David Low (1844)
"THE lime tree. Of the Lime or Linden Trees, natives of Europe and Western ... Tilia platyphylla—The Broad-leaved lime tree. The Small-leafed lime tree is ..."