Definition of Linga
1. n. The phallic symbol under which Siva is principally worshiped in his character of the creative and reproductive power.
Definition of Linga
1. lingam [n -S] - See also: lingam
Lexicographical Neighbors of Linga
Literary usage of Linga
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Cyclopædia of India and of Eastern and Southern Asia: Commercial by Edward Balfour (1885)
"The views put forward by Basava were to change the worship of Siva. The linga, as an emblem of Siva, was always to be worn on the person, ..."
2. The History of India from the Earliest Ages by James Talboys Wheeler (1869)
"The following account of the circumstance is extracted from the Adhyatma Ramayana:—" At the commencement of the work Kama erected the linga of Kameswara, ..."
3. A Cyclopædic Dictionary of the Mang'anja Language Spoken in British Central by David Clement Ruffelle Scott (1892)
"¡we u-linga kuti ? where do you purpose going ? where are you going ? 7 i-ringa ti-ta-onana pena, or /i- da-linga ti-ta-onana, we have surely seen each ..."
4. Publications by Oriental Translation Fund (1837)
"Chandrika has, ' linga, from designating, ... so by this illustration it is intimated that it, the rudiment (linga), does not subsist without unspecific or ..."
5. Phallism: A Description of the Worship of Lingam-yoni in Various Parts of by Hargrave Jennings (1889)
"Phallic Worship of the East— linga described— Caves of Elc- ... Distinction between linga and Yoni—Argha—Veneration for Stones—Story of polluted ..."
6. Penny Cyclopaedia of the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge by Charles Knight (1842)
"It lasts three days, which are employed in performing various rites before the linga, which they wash four times. The occasion of this is the ..."
7. The China Sea Directory by Great Britain Hydrographic Dept, John William Reed, John William King (1867)
"Iu linga road it is high water, full and change, at 7 pm, and the rise is 7 feet. ... A vessel proceeding towards linga road from Banka strait, ..."