¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Definition of Mammate
1. having mammae [adj]
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Mammate Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Mammate
Literary usage of Mammate
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Standard Cyclopedia of Horticulture: A Discussion for the Amateur, and by Liberty Hyde Bailey (1914)
"(XH) similar to C. tortuosus), pointed, dark carmine-red, about 2 in. diam., mammate, a few spines on the mammas, toward the base of the fr. Argentina. ..."
2. Cyclopedia of American Horticulture: Comprising Suggestions for Cultivation by Liberty Hyde Bailey, Wilhelm Miller (1900)
"... inner petals clear white : fr. spherical, brilliant red without and white within, mammate, bearing a few spines on the summits of the lower mammas. ..."
3. The Century Dictionary: An Encyclopedic Lexicon of the English Language by William Dwight Whitney (1890)
"... etc.; a mammary structure.—Mammary fetus, gestation, gland. See the nouns. mammate ... having breasts: see mammate.] Having mammas or breasts. [Hare. ..."
4. Geological Magazine by Henry Woodward (1905)
"... mammate, and spinous ornamentation may prove, when more remains have been obtained, to be parts of the body-segments of a large Arachnid. See Pal. Soc. ..."
5. A Pocket medical dictionary: Giving the Pronunciation and Definition of the ...by George Milbry Gould by George Milbry Gould (1920)
"Mamma, mam'-ah. The breast. Mammary, mam'-ar-e. Pertaining to the mammas. M. Gland, the milk-secreting gland; the mamma. mammate ..."