2. Noun. (Judaism) The person who performs the circumcision in a Jewish bris ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Definition of Mohel
1. a person who performs Jewish ritual circumcisions [n -HALIM, -HELIM, or -HELS]
Lexicographical Neighbors of Mohel
mohel (current term)
Literary usage of Mohel
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Medical Record by George Frederick Shrady, Thomas Lathrop Stedman (1895)
"He states that the mohel is such an expert at the operation that no evil results ... My learned colleague states that the record of the mohel in regard to ..."
2. The Medical and Surgical Reporter (1872)
"It appears that it is occasionally followed by dangerous hemorrhage, at which we are the less surprised when we learn that the " mohel," or operator, ..."
3. The Jew: Screenplayby R D Manning by R D Manning (1995)
"He is followed by His mohel, a man whose yellow beard is tangled, like the threads of wool a cat plays with; who clasps his hands, CHANTING in a voice husky ..."
4. A Dictionary of the Bible: Dealing with Its Language, Literature, and by Samuel Rolles Driver, James Hastings, John Alexander Selbie (1908)
"After the operation a blessing is invoked by the mohel, and the event U celebrated by feasting in the parents' house. The prayers for the occasion are set ..."
5. The British Jews by John Mills (1853)
"Whilst rehearsing this blessing the mohel, at intervals, dips his little ... The mohel, the Sandak, and the friends of the parties, make similar offerings. ..."