Definition of Nyctanassa
1. Noun. American night herons.
Generic synonyms: Bird Genus
Group relationships: Ardeidae, Family Ardeidae
Member holonyms: Nyctanassa Violacea, Yellow-crowned Night Heron
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Nyctanassa Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Nyctanassa
Literary usage of Nyctanassa
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Birds of Maine: With Key to and Description of the Various Species Known by Ora Willis Knight (1908)
"... to the danger of one's eyesight, and often also present the intruder with their recently devoured luncheon. Genus nyctanassa Stejneger. 203. nyctanassa ..."
2. The American Naturalist by American Society of Naturalists, Essex Institute (1905)
"One female was taken in the Cienaga, May 23, 1904. 14. nyctanassa violacea (Linn.). "GUANABA. ..."
3. The Auk: Quarterly Journal of Ornithology by American Ornithologists' Union, Nuttall Ornithological Club (1916)
"Frigate birds were seen soaring high over the sea near Manuel Qui and also at Campania. Mr. Bowdish (1900) records them also. 5. nyctanassa violacea ..."
4. Handbook of Birds of Eastern North America: With Introductory Chapters on by Frank Michler Chapman (1912)
"nyctanassa violacea (Linn.). YELLOW-CROWNED NIGHT HERON. Ads.—Crown white, generally washed with buffy; ear-coverts white; rest of head and throat black; ..."